Friday, October 20, 2006

auckland. again.

the journey back from the bay of islands was an interesting one. the bus to auckland wasn't until 4.30pm so we spent all day sat on a picnic bench on piahia village green, me reading the new zealand herald and reg reading some trashy mags, each of us exclaiming at particularly interesting articles, just like old people. we've been acting like old people quite a lot recently. all this sea air has made us really tired so we've been going to bed at 10pm each night to read. we're going to have to snap out of that.

but, anyway, the bus.

jared the bus driver arrived in a hurry cos he was running half an hour late. he slung all our backpacks in the back. reg doesn't have a backpack now cos it snapped in fiji so instead she has a massive pink suitcase on wheels. she's given up on the trudging-about-with-a-heavy-bag-on-your-back lark. anyway, jared exclaims when he sees her suitcase 'bloody hell, princess, you packed yer mum?!'. i love new zealanders! anyway, we sat right at the front cos reg felt a bit travel sick last time. we were going to settle in to listening to my ipod shuffle between us except jared, it transpires, likes a bit of company while he's driving and never shut up. we ended up plugging my ipod into the van stereo and subjected everyone on the bus to my music. it was horrific. i felt like my soul had been opened up to everyone there. i sat there with my finger at the ready to run some songs on. you see, when i'd put the songs on, i'd been in a strange mood and ended up putting on a few 'less trendy' songs on there, just for variety. the kind of songs, like tiffany and arsenium, that would remind me of home but that, perhaps, you wouldn't want to share with a busload of strangers. i had a regular panic every couple of minutes as each song ended. however, it all turned out okay as jared proved himself to be another musical loser like me by professing to also like 'can't fight the moonlight' by leann rhimes. thank god.

so today reg and i have both gone off and done our own thing, in order to not go mental in each other's company 24/7. i went to auckland museum which was fab. there was a 'maori cultural performance' with lots of singing and fighting and, of course, the haka. there was also a thing on volcanoes (auckland is on a whole load of volcanoes) which included a replica room which showed you what would happen in a real volcano explosion. the room shook and the lights went out and everything. it was brill and also scared a few small children. double whammy. there was also stuff on warfare in nz - with the british but also stuff on the world wars and that. provided another perspective.

so am off now to meet rach and have a drink up the sky tower. it's cloudy so we'll see bugger all but what the hell, we're on us 'olidays.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just read your latest, couldn't stop laughing at the bus ride bit, I can just imagine you being embarrassed at your choice of music, but don't be! There are other people like you and me, a bit strange, like when I met the bloke following the railway trackbed in Porthmadog, North Wales. I thought I was the only person who liked doing that sort of thing.

Anyway, its half term next week, so I'm having the week off with your Mum, don't know when I'll get on the Blog, I suppose its a bit like when you were in Fiji, no doubt I'll have a lot to tell you when I get back to work.

We've got Jamie for the day on Monday, and then its Debbie's birthday on Tuesday, and we're looking after the girls in the evening, and then its off to Llandudno on Wednesday for a few days with Janet and Philip, so I won't be back to work till the 30th. And then we're taking David and Debbie and the girls out for a meal in the evening for our 35th Anniversary! When I going to get a chance to watch the videos, you may ask!

Re your visit to the museum, I've been reading a bit about NZ on the Google, seems like you've moved from one side of the Pacific Tectonic Plate (San Francisco) to the other (NZ) and thats why there are so many volcanoes, but I didn't know there were any actually in Auckland, I'll have to look it all up again. I wonder if the museum has a website...
XX

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just having a gander at your blog and noticed your dad has just posted at this time when he is supposed to be working!
Well I can talk I suppose.
Dolphins!!!!!!
Have to go to play Incredibles, on PS2, for Abbie, she is supposed to be ill.
Take care,
Debbie x

Anonymous said...

Can't believe how much I've missed with not being able to get on your blog a lot recently (v v busy, rat-race style, so v v jealous of all your exploits...except maybe the dolphin near-drowning one!) Lots has been going on here, Marge is now officially an ex-sheffielder, and has retreated tother side o'pennines...and then there were two -just me and arn left (of the 'normal' folk, that is...assume lawty's still darkening the corridors of brodsworth bluddy hall, or whatever it's called...) Also, Scottish Matt who dropped out of our course was on weakest link the other week - how very random! He got to the final, but then lost. Not used to being in the office at this time on a friday so going to go now and get ready for a night out in glamourous sheffield. Bet you miss those, don't ya??? Love mooney xxxxx

Anonymous said...

How's your backpack standing up to the strain?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Christine
Happy Birthday to you!

Hugs and kisses Zoe and Ant

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Chrissie! Emailed you from work - hope you got it okay. Got to go pack for me 'olidays now. Jamie is refusing to go to sleep in case he misses the 3am wake up call for the aeroplane! It's going to be a long 24 hours....

love you lots
xxxx