have had a really nice couple of days. chilled out the other night watching 'american pie 2' on the telly with random british and german people (so many germans in nz!). we spent yesterday wandering about town. we to the park which has lots of random steam pools dotted about. rotorua is on really thin volcanic rock so that the hot steam bursts through and makes the whole place stink of rotten eggs. you really do get used to it, though, apart from the odd realisation of what you're smelling. the park was cool. there was a larger lake that had huge swaythes of steam coming from it. it looked light it was part of a film set, so unreal. felt like we were wandering through narnia or something. also saw the bubbling mud which, frankly, just looked evil. like it was alive. it was hypnotising, though.
made it through to the lake where there are loads and loads of black swans. never seen black swans before. they have red beaks. it looks all wrong. they also have reeeeaaally white sea gulls here. we had a sneaky milkshake at a lakeside cafe and pondered setting up a caff in the lake district when we get home. we would call it 'rachael's cakes' or something. possibly. we then went on a bit of a trek round the lake and finally came out somewhere in town. felt good for the fresh (?) air.
we got back and found a load of rugby players had arrived from auckland for the night and were setting up home in the bar. say no more about the kind of night THAT was...
today we went for a further trek out to whakarewarewa (say that when you're pissed) thermal village. it was a lot further than we thought to walk it, nearly an hour. but it was a fascinating place. the whole village looks like it's built on steam and, i suppose, it is really. they do everything with the thermal energy: cook, bathe, wash, etc. we saw them boiling some sweetcorn in one pool. we also saw the big geysers that shoot out of the rock. really unusual place.
the best bit was after, though, when we stopped at the chip shop for food. it's fab that nz has chip shops. we got chatting with the lady, saying how we'd walked for miles, when, while we were sitting writing our postcards, she offered us a lift back into town. bless her socks. she was going to the lotto shop cos she was feeling lucky so we went with her and bought some tickets. we've no idea how much we would win if we did win but it'll be great if we win something. i'd go out immediately and get my hair cut and some new clothes that weren't all faded. fingers crossed.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Did you get your ecard? I know it was a bit cheesy but I liked sending it and thought it would be a surprise.
Had a lovely time in North Wales. Have sent you a couple of pictures. Glad you had a good birthday even though you forgot to ring me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still love you though.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi, I'm back at work today, I nearly posted a comment from home last week, but it was last tuesday morning (24th!) and we sort of suddenly realised that you could be trying to ring us from NZ, it being your birthday the previous day. So I had to log out right quick, just in case!
I have already been looking up the 'Stray' bus company, they must be the bright orange ones, mustn't they, so which of the 'passes' have you got, 'Jill', 'Pete', or 'Tom'! Actually, after having another look, it sounds like 'Tom'! Or perhaps I'm on the wrong track completely.
And now what about our short break?
It started on the Saturday (21st) with a clearout of the 'coalhouse' prior to the builder coming, and a trip to the tip, then on the Sunday (22nd) with a family meal to celebrate your birthday, I have video'd us singing 'Happy Birthday to You', or at least grandchildren and grandparents, the others wouldn't join in as you weren't there to sing to! Then Monday (23rd) saw Jamie and me playing my Lord of the Rings game with my Lord of the Rings figures on the table first thing in the morning, throwing dice to decide who was the victor, and who was killed! And then to David and Debbie's on the Tuesday (24th) to see the girls and Debbie on her birthday.
We went to Llandudno on the Wednesday (25th) with Janet and Philip, stopped at the usual for a snack, the hotel was very nice, we all dressed up for the evening meal (collar and tie as well!). On Thursday (26th) we went for a walk on the Orme, it was blowing a gale but it was dry, and found the burial chamber and limestone pavements, etc, and I took some video of the trams! Did about 16,000 footsteps (yes, I remembered to take the pedometer!). And there was a gorgeous sunset over Bangor and Anglesey! On Friday (27th) we were going to walk round the Orme, but luckily it came on to rain! So we went round the shops in the morning, and a short walk round Rhos on Sea in the pm, your Mum had found a Heritage Walk on the Net, it introduced to the delights of Rhos including the only residential home in the country for Veggies! It seems the area around Colwyn Bay was a magnet for Veggies last century!
So there! I hear your Mum told you that the clocks went back last weekend, as far as I can make out you are now thirteen hours in front of us, sounds incredible in view of the Date Line splitting the world, but its all as a result of NZ Daylight Saving Time being an hour in front of NZ Normal Time.
Must go now, I haven't looked up Rotorua yet, and all the other places. I understand the trip takes you to Taupo, where they filmed the scenes in Mordor, look out for Mount Doom, I can't remember the NZ name for it, but I must get round to watching the DVDs again. Will be thinking about you when I do, take care XXX
Germans in NZ? I bet Rachy-P's loving that!! Did you impress them with your German rendition on the Postman Pat theme tune? Have you asked them "Wo ist deine mutter?" Oh how I miss out girls nights in, working out the lyrics to well known childrens' tv theme tunes in foreign languages!Oooh, I nearly forgot to tell you, I have gossip! Rhonda went on a hot date yesterday, with no other than Jonnie's best mate James. Actually, I do believe he's a friend of Rach's on myspace. So yeah, she's moving away from the campyness, woo-yeah! I'll keep you posted with the progress.
Post a Comment