Thursday, March 29, 2007

cockered

relived my youth last night in going to see jarvis cocker. it's hard to believe that 'different class' was released 12 years ago - TWELVE years. that's half my life ago. and the poor man can never emerge from that shadow. it was clear that most people there, including myself, were there cos they wanted to hear some pulp songs. but none were played. and you can't really blame him.

haven't been to a proper gig in a while, at least not one in a more intimate venue. the people in attendance were all the indie kids of the nineties. indie kids, no longer. more like indie grown-ups, knocking on thirty. but they were all still super cool and i had all the same feelings from a decade ago of not measuring up to their cooldom. it made me want to go to the hairdresser and get a striking fringe cut. immediately. especially since this was my first night off from work for what seems like a decade so i had spent too much time making my tea and loafing in front of the telly (again) instead of putting my eyeliner on for the gig. error.

but jarvis was marvellous. it was like seeing an old friend. he's a most entertaining man and the highlights of the evening were probably the bits where he talked between songs, especially since i didn't know any of the songs they played. and he did a LOT of talking. titbits about his trip on the tram and how he hates nail clippers. and he actually looks skinnier than he does in his pictures, if that's possible. but he doesn't look a decade older. i know i do. it certainly made me ponder everything that has happened to me since 1995. i mean, this is before i did my GCSEs and everything. oh, the wrinkles gained.

musicwise, there didn't seem to be as much in the way of anthemic dancey catchy songs and it was often difficult to catch the lyrics. it all seemed to be more grown-up - a theme for the evening. but it didn't really make me feel ultra old. just grown. it was rather nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry darling. The wrinkles get easier to bear when you can't even remember what is under them!!
I remember that little Chrissie who liked Pulp and she doen't seem any different even though she is now old enough to swear on the internet!!!
Love you millions.
Mum
XXX

Anonymous said...

I also remember that Chrissie who introduced me to Pulp type music, but I didn't realise it was TWELVE years ago!

Incidentally, a few Sundays ago I played 'Something Changed' at church for old times sake, and the preacher, our recently started lady preacher, asked what it was I was playing, I told her, she'd never heard of Pulp! But she liked the tune nevertheless. I still play the Enya stuff now and again, and also the 'Lord of the Rings' music, but I miss the TOTP we used to watch, and John Newell keeps asking me to play all sorts of rubbish he hears on the TV pop music programmes he watches!
XX
XX

Anonymous said...

Whenever I get feelings like that I go buy an accessory (silly belt, earrings or maybe a sticker or badge) from a teenage shop to try and slow down the ageing process. It seems to be working...